RG 001:007, Records of the Court of Assistants and Superior Courts, 1687-1749.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
RG 001:007, Records of the Court of Assistants and Superior Courts
Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
Copyright © 2012 by the Connecticut State Library
The first Connecticut judicial proceeding were probably held on April 26, 1636 at “A Corte holden in Newtown” (Hartford) under the commission granted to eight leaders by the General Court of Massachusetts Bay.
In 1638, the General Court established the Particular Court (often called the “Quarter Court” because it was required to meet every three months). While the General Court, later called the General Assembly, controlled the administration of justice, the Particular Court was the principal body until the union of the New Haven and Connecticut colonies and the granting of the Charter from King Charles II in 1662.
In 1665, with the new Charter, the Particular Court was abolished and two new levels of courts were established: the Court of Assistants in 1665, and the county courts one year later. Separate probate courts were established in 1698 to handle such matters as wills and estates.
The Court of Assistants was abolished in 1711. Its powers of original and appellate jurisdiction were assumed by the newly created Superior Court, the forerunner of the sole trial court of general jurisdiction, which exists in Connecticut today.
Records of the Court of Assistants, February 15, 1686/87-October 1687; May 27, 1690-May 11, 1696; May 7, 1702-1711. Records of the Superior Court, 1711-1715; 1748-1749.
Arranged in 2 volumes numbered within the larger collection of Early General Records as volumes 57 and 58. There are no other volume numbers assigned.
Restrictions on Access
Researchers should first consult use copies when available. See Alternate Form Available Section below.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
Norbert B. Lacy transcribed records for the period 1665-1711 in 1937. A copy of this transcript (2 volumes) is in RG 003, Box 648.
Volume 53, Court of Assistants records has been transcribed in Colony of Connecticut : minutes of the Court of Assistants, 1669-1711 [StLib History Reference F97 .C67 2009 1776-].