Education and Services for the Blind, Board of

Agency Website

Statutory Authority

Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 10-293

Agency History

1893, Chapter 303 (Public Acts)

Established as Board of Education of the Blind

1963, January 1, Public Act 63-386

Name changed to Board of Education and Services for the Blind

2011, July 1, Public Act 11-44

All functions transferred to Bureau of Rehabilitative Services

 

Published Histories/Articles

Armstead, George B. The State Services of Connecticut. Published under the direction of the Committee on Public Information and the House Committee on Publications of the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut. 1946, pp. 186-192.

[CSL Call Number ConnDoc G25 ar]

Archived Education and Services for the Blind website, as harvested on 2011-04-11, by the Connecticut State Library, Connecticut Digital Archive.

Agency Documents

The Board is closely affiliated with the Connecticut Institute and Industrial Home for the Blind, established as a private institution in 1894. Annual Reports of the Institute are in the State Library. [CSL Call Number HV 1796 .C83 H3]

Check the State Library catalog for availability of publications by the agency:

Annual Reports are located in:

1894-1960, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc BL61 r]
1974-1978, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc BL61 hist]

1947-2001, Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]
2002-, online version

State Archives Record Group: Not available

List of Heads

Name

Years of Service

Secretary

 
Frank E. Cleaveland 1894-1900
Emily Wells Foster 1901-1904
John D. Rusher 1905-1917
Stetson K. Ryan 1918-1933

Executive Secretary

 
Stetson K. Ryan 1934-1954
Albert N. Sherberg 1955-1958
H. Kenneth McCollam (Acting) 1959
H. Kenneth McCollam 1960-1969

Director

 
William E. Patton 1970-1979

Executive Director

 
William E. Patton 1980-1989
George A. Precourt 1990-1996
Kenneth R. Tripp 1997-1999
Lawrence E. Alibozek 2000
Donna Balaski 2001-2003
Brian S. Sigman 2003-2011