Fisheries and Game, State Board of

Agency Website

Not available

Statutory Authority

Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 26-2 (1958 Revision)

Agency History

1867, Chapter 111 (Public Acts)

Established as Fish Commissioners

1895, Chapter 46 (Public Acts)

Name changed to Commissioners of Fisheries and Game

1913, Chapter 228 (Public Acts)

Name changed to State Board of Fisheries and Game

1971, Public Act 71-872

Merged into the new Department of Environmental Protection

Published Histories/Articles

Not available

Agency Documents

Check the State Library catalog for availability of publications by the agency:

 Annual Reports are located in:

1870-1959, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F53 r]

1959-1971, Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]

State Archives Record Group: RG 079:003

List of Heads

Name

Years of Service

Commissioner  
Robert G. Pike 1870-1889
Wm. M. Hudson 1870-1889
James A. Bill 1870-1880, 1886-1898
G.N. Woodruff 1881-1885
Robert B. Chalker 1890-1892
William S. Downs 1892
S.M. Bronson 1894
R.E. Follett 1894
Hubert Williams 1895-1896
Abbott C. Collins 1895-1898
George H. Knight 1897-1898
President  
George T. Mathewson 1899-1910
Frank W. Hewes 1911-1912
William K. Mollan 1913-1921
Frederic C. Walcott 1922-1924
Superintendent  
John W. Titcomb 1925-1931
Arthur L. Clark 1932-1937
Elliot P. Bronson (Acting) 1938
Russell P. Hunter 1939-1953
Lyle M. Thorpe 1954
Director  
Lyle M. Thorpe 1955-1963
Theodore B. Bampton 1964-1971