School for Boys, Connecticut

Agency Website

Not available

Statutory Authority

Connecticut General Statutes Sec. 17-402 (1958 Revision)

Agency History

1851, Chapter XLVI (Public Acts)

State Reform School established by General Assembly

1854

State Reform School in Meriden opened

1893, Chapter XCII (Public Acts)

Name changed to Connecticut School for Boys; often referred to as the Meriden School for Boys

1921

1921 Public Acts Chapter 336 set up the Juvenile Court System; the School for Boys and Long Lane School became juvenile detention centers for persons committed by the Juvenile Courts.

1970, January 2, Public Act 69-664

Became part of the new Department of Children and Youth Services for administrative purposes

1972, Public Act 72-235

Permission given for the Commissioner of Children and Youth Services to merge with Long Lane School; all residents moved to Middletown, the Meriden facility closed

Published Histories/Articles

Armstead, George B. The State Services of Connecticut. Published under the direction of the Committee on Public Information and the House Committee on Publications of the General Assembly of the State of Connecticut. 1946. pp.203-207 [CSL Call Number ConnDoc G25 ar]

Office of Legislative Research Report 2004-R-0480, “Connecticut Reform School History”

Agency Documents

Check the State Library catalog for availability of publications by the agency:

Annual Reports are located in:

1854-1940 [CSL Call Number ConnDoc Sch66m]
Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]

State Archives Record Group: RG 178:001

List of Superintendents

Name

Years of Service

Philemon Hoadley

1854-1855

Roswell Hawley, M.D.

July 1, 1855-1858

E. W. Hatch, M.D.

Jan. 12, 1859-Feb. 7, 1874

S.B. Little (Acting)

1874

Edward Ingham

1874-1876

S.B. Cocks

Aug. 21, 1876-1878

George E. Howe

Apr. 23, 1878-Nov. 22, 1893

Mrs. F.M. Howe (Temporary)

1893-Apr. 11, 1894

Rev. Samuel Thatcher

Apr. 11, 1894-Mar. 2, 1896

Rev. George L. Coburn (Acting)

Mar. 2-May 20, 1896

Rev. George L. Coburn

May 20, 1896-1898

Charles M. Williams

July 13, 1898-Oct. 31, 1920

Edward S. Boyd

Nov. 1, 1920-1929

John A. Tinsley

1930

Roy L. McLaughlin

Aug. 1, 1930-1960

Norman K. Morgan

1960-1970

Dr. Charles W. Dean

June 12, 1970-1972