Uncas on Thames

Agency Website

Not available

Statutory Authority

Not available

Agency History

1913, Chapter 183 (Public Acts)

February opened as the State Sanatorium at Norwich by the State Tuberculosis Commission

1925

Renamed Uncas-on-Thames Sanatorium

1956, October

Began accepting state welfare wards with chronic diseases needing hospital care

1957, Public Act 57-586

Renamed Uncas-on-Thames Hospital; administration transferred to the Commission on Tuberculosis and other Chronic Illness

1959, Public Act 59-148

Transferred to the Health Department, Office of Tuberculosis Control, Hospital Care, and Rehabilitation

1985, July 1, Public Act 85-424

University of Connecticut Health Center assumes control over Uncas-on-Thames Hospital

1995, June 30

Inpatient services were terminated

Published Histories/Articles

Thorough information including photographs available in the annual reports of the State Tuberculosis Commission, [CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791sc]

Agency Documents

Check the State Library catalog for availability of publications by the agency:

Annual Reports are located in:

[CSL Call Number ConnDoc T791sc]

1947-1983, Digest of Administrative Reports to the Governor. [CSL Call Number ConnDoc F40 d]

State Archives Record Group : RG 179 (Special Care Sanatoria)

List of Superintendents

Name

Years of Service

Hugh B. Campbell 1912-May 15, 1944
William H. Weidman (Acting) 1944
William H. Weidman 1945-July 1948
George C. Wilson Sept. 1, 1948-1970
Norman L. Cressy 1971-1974
Harold W. Schell 1975-1977
Thomas W. Redding 1978-1985