Governor Dannel P. Malloy has issued a proclamation recognizing October 2014 as Connecticut Archives Month. This annual event is an opportunity to raise awareness about the value of Connecticut's historical records and archives as well as the archivists who oversee them. The Connecticut State Historical Records Advisory Board has led the initiative on Connecticut Archives Month since 2005.
The Connecticut State Historical Records Advisory Board, with its co-sponsors Connecticut League of History Organizations and the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries, has produced its fourth poster promoting Archives Month. The poster features photographs and documents about Connecticut answering the call during World War I. This is one of a number of cooperative efforts by Connecticut's cultural heritage institutions to mark Connecticut's role at home and abroad in the Great War over the next four years. The poster is funded by a grant awarded to the Connecticut State Library from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) on behalf of the Advisory Board.
The State Library is distributing the poster free of charge to public and academic libraries, historical societies, and museums across the state. Individuals or other groups who would like a copy may contact State Archivist Lizette Pelletier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the fourth consecutive year, the State Library will post announcements of activities by historical societies, museums, libraries and archives on its website. If your organization is planning to host an Archives Month event, workshop, conference, or exhibit, please contact Assistant State Archivist Allen Ramsey at email@example.com.
Archives Month Activities in Connecticut
- Connecticut Historical Society
- Exhibit: (Re)Building Hartford: A City Captured by Artist Richard Welling, October 3, 2014-March 14, 2015. For more information see: http://chs.org/exhibition/rebuilding-hartford-city-captured-artist-richard-welling/
- Litchfield Historical Society
- Archives Month: Personal Digital Archives Day, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, Free for members; $10 for non-members. For more information see: http://litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org/calendar/event.php?event=736
- Windsor Historical Society
- Archives Provide Answers to Windsor Mysteries, Wednesday, October 22, 2014. For more information see: http://www.windsorhistoricalsociety.org/calendar.html