Governor Dannel P. Malloy has issued a proclamation recognizing October 2013 as Connecticut Archives Month. This annual event is an opportunity to raise awareness about the value of Connecticut's historical records and archives as well as the archivists who oversee them. The Connecticut State Historical Records Advisory Board has led the initiative on Connecticut Archives Month since 2005.
The Connecticut State Historical Records Advisory Board, with its co-sponsors Connecticut Humanities and the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries,has produced its third poster promoting Archives Month. The poster features a photograph and documents from the Cheney Brothers Silk Manufacturing Company Records, Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries. The poster is funded by a grant awarded to the Connecticut State Library from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) on behalf of the Advisory Board.
The theme for the 2013 poster, "Connecticut at Work," was chosen in support of a year-long initiative by Connecticut Humanities that invites Connecticut residents to explore a wide range of issues related to work in terms of both the present and the past. The initiative encourages organizations involved in the humanities, culture, art, municipal government, business, education, community engagement and others, to create new or share existing public programs. For more information on the "Connecticut at Work" initiative, visit the Connecticut Humanities website: http://cthumanities.org/ctatwork.
The State Library is distributing the poster free of charge to public and academic libraries, historical societies, and museums across the state. If individuals or other groups who would like a copy may contact Paul E. Baran at the e-mail address below.
For the fourth consecutive year, the State Library will post announcements of activities by historical societies, museums, libraries and archives on its website. If your organization is planning to host an Archives Month event, workshop, conference, or exhibit, please contact State Archivist Paul E. Baran at email@example.com.
Archives Month Activities in Connecticut
Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library
- Exhibit opening: Power of Pictures, Friday, October 4, 2013. For more information see: http://beinecke.library.yale.edu/programs-events/events/Power_of_Pictures
Connecticut Historical Society
- Exhibit opening: Through a Different Lens: Three Connecticut Women Photographers, Friday, October 11, 2013. For more information see: http://www.chs.org/page.php?id=512
Gunn Memorial Library & Museum
- Readings From the Archives of the Gunn Museum, Monday, October 7, 2013. For more information see: http://www.eventkeeper.com/code/events.cfm?curOrg=GML
Litchfield Historical Society
- Members Only Event: Prisoners, Loyalists, and Spies, Friday, October 25, 2013. For more information see: http://www.litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org/calendar/event.php?event=619
Windsor Historical Society
- What People's Belongings Can Tell You: Probate Inventories & Refurnishing the Strong-Howard House, Tuesday, October 22, 2013. For more information see: http://www.windsorhistoricalsociety.org/calendar.html