Recent Legislative Actions
- PA 12-05. An Act Revising the Penalty for Capital Felonies. April 2012. Statement of Governor Malloy.
- PA 09-107 An Act Concerning the Penalty for a Capital Felony. Vetoed June 5, 2009. Statement of Gov. Rell.
Connecticut General Statutes: (To be updated when PA 12-05 is codified)
Legislative History of "An Act Revising the Penalty for Capital Felonies", Public Act 12-05, 2012 Senate Bill no. 280.
Legislative History of " An Act Concerning the Penalty for a Capital Felony." VetoedAn Act Concerning the Penalty for a Capital Felony. Vetoed Public Act 09-107 Vetoed can be found online by searching in Guide to Connecticut Legislative History Database. Search by bill number 6578
A series of compiled legislative histories on landmark Connecticut legislation, with additional primary source material, act summaries, and glossary of terms. They may be viewed online or borrowed by visiting on-site or requested through Interlibrary Loan.
- Legislative history of "An Act Concerning Revision and Codification of the Substantive Criminal Law. This act shall be known as the Penal Code", Public Act 69-828, 1969 House Bill no. 7182
- Legislative history of “An Act Concerning the Death Penalty”, Public Act 73-137, 1973 House Bill no. 8297
- Legislative history of "An Act Concerning the Death Penalty", Public Act 95-19, 1995 Senate Bill no. 852
- Legislative history of "An Act Concerning Lethal Injection, Proportionality Review of Death Sentences and Murder of a Child", Public Act 95-16, 1995 Senate Bill no. 855
Commission on the Death Penalty
Connecticut General Assembly Office of Legislative Research - Selected Reports
- Death Penalty 2012-R-0321
- Connecticut Penal Code--Updated and Revised 2012-R-0134
- Prison Conditions for Death Row and Life Without Parole Inmates 2011-R-0178
- Death Row Conditions 2011-R-0171
- Proposed Changes to Death Penalty Laws in 2007 and 2008 2009-R-0151http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0140.htm
- Inmates Sentenced to Death 2009-R-0140
- 2005-R-0064 and 2005-R-0060
- Pardon Statistics from Other States 2005-R-0065
- Allocution and Death Penalty Sentencing Hearings 2004-R-0987
- Attendance at Executions 2004-R-0978
- Legislature's Power to Commute Death Sentences and Effect on Pending Cases 2004-R-0930
- Pardons 2004-R-0877
- Death penalty bills debated since 1973 2010-R-0498
- Disparity in Death Penalty Cases and the Criminal Justice System 2005-R-0215
Executive Branch Actions
- Statement of Governor Malloy on signing PA 12-05, An Act Revising the Penalty for Capital Felonies (April 25, 2012)
- Statement of Governor Malloy on Final Passage of Capital Punishment Repeal Legislation (April 11, 2012)
- Statement of Governor Rell on veto of PA 09-107 (June 5, 2009)
- Statement of then-Governor Rell on delay in execution of Michael Ross (January 31, 2005)
- Statement of then-Governor Rell on her decision not to grant Michael Ross a reprieve (December 6, 2004)
- Connecticut Department of Correction Administrative Directive 6.15 "Administration of Capital Punishment"
- Search "capital punishment" in Digital Collections at State Library for additional online information.
Death Penalty Information Center
For analysis and information on issues concerning capital punishment, including a searchable database of executions since 1976; reports covering race, innocence, politicization, costs of the death penalty, and more; executions scheduled for 2008 ; and the highly regarded ESPY FILE, an historical database of executions in the United States, 1608-2002, searchable by state.
Capital Punishment Statistics
(From the U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics)
Death Penalty: An Overview
(Cornell Law School Legal Information Institute)
- CQ Researcher (requires CSL card) Death Penalty Debates - Nov. 19, 2010Death Penalty Debates - Nov. 19, 2010
- Michael Ross Home Page (hosted by Canadian Coalition Against the Death Penalty)
Compiled by Law/Legislative Reference Unit, 1/2005, revised 3/2009, 5/2012,